Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After Thanksgiving -- African-American Friday

Last night we were goofing on a Menard's ad for the Black Friday crush... The ostensibly-home-improvement store had three different flyers in the high-priced placement of the day's Chicago Tribune newspaper.

We made great sport of the things Menard's is selling -- lumber, shelving units, water heaters and filters, the usual stuff. But the ancillary crap -- notebook computers, iPod accessories, kitchen appliances, pots and pans, summer sausage (Really? At a fucking lumber yard??) candies, Christmas cards... We had a great laugh.

The sale went from 6 a.m. to 11, so I said I'd set my alarm to make sure I didn't miss it...

Got up about 9, made it to the store by 10:30, and by God, half of the things I wanted were already sold out. And it wasn't like they only had a few items -- there were entire end displays vacated. Looked like a hoard of locust went through there... Mexican locust, by the look (and the sound) of things... Understandable, as the store is between Mundelein and Diamond Lake, Illinois -- a burgeoning nesting ground for our brothers from under the border.

Dumbest thing I ever did was to take "French" in High School. (But they speak Frenchola in Canada, which is where I was planning to go if that VietNam war had run on a few more years...)

Oh well. Anyway, I wasn't looking for quality stuff there, just the goofy gifts you get when you ask for goofy gifts for Christmas. I really don't shop the local lumber yards for quality electronics and kitchenware. I go to PetSmart for that stuff...

I hear a leftover turkey sandwich calling me, then I have a meeting at 1 p.m. -- my ass will be meeting my recliner, and I want to be there when it happens. Aloha.